Charlie Russell art lesson

I just finished doing several art lessons at the K-6 grade school that I teach at on the great western artist Charlie Russell. If you aren't familiar with him, he is a wonderful artist from Montana. In the past the only lesson I have used to teach about him has been the silhouette sunset art project (see March 2011 lesson on this blog). I wanted to spend several weeks with him this time as the school that I teach at is a little rural school in northwest Montana and the kids have been begging me to do some lessons on him. Most of my students live on a ranch or at least have horses and other farm animals, and they are very familiar with the western lifestyle that Russell depicts in his art.

Well I started my K-2 class with the silhouette project, then we did the scratch art boot project shown below. They really had fun with this. I brought in some boots which we practiced sketching and then we did it on big sheet of watercolor paper. Then they colored in the boot with oil pastels and painted over the whole surface with black or brown acrylic paint. We used a scratch art tool to scratch thru the paint to create a stitching design on the boot. Then I cut all the boots out and they choose a scrap paper background to glue it on and  then they stamped Charlie Russell's name.














Comments

  1. So fun to do a search on Charlie Russell and have our amazing local art teacher pop up! This is such a fun project Edna!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment